Vladimir Vladimirovich once said, “the demise of the Soviet Union was the greatest geopolitical catastrophe of the century.” That’s what I think of when I see the buildup to events like those now taking place between Georgia and Russia. James Poulos at The Postmodern Conservative instead thinks about Putin statements about wanting a stable international system of sovereign states. When I watch the news and other programs on RTR Planeta I don’t get that at all, but then I don’t understand very much Russian, so I’m using a lot of non-verbal cues.
Here are some blog posts where I’ve stuck in my oar on this topic, listed here so I can remember where I’ve been talking:
- Postmodern Conservative: Get your war on
- Postmodern Conservative: Let’s start a war with Russia!
- LiveJournal Conservative community: Russian “invasion” of Georgia and potential U.S. “response”
Here’s a new one:
- Postmodern Conservative: Russia serves me crow
And here’s an old one I had forgotten:
- Jim Manzi in The American Scene: Drilling in ANWR